Tier 1 investor visa


What is a Tier 1 investor visa ?

The Tier 1 investor visa, was first introduced in 2008 to encourage wealth foreign investors from outside of the EU to relocate themselves and their family to the UK.  The Tier 1 visa investors would then provide a boost to the UK's economy and stimulate growth.

For an investment of 2, 5 or 10 million pounds, indefinite leave to remain (ILR) is granted upon successful completion of the visa term of either 5, 3 or 2 years.


The investment had to be made into Tier 1 investor visa qualifying investments, which were UK government bonds (no longer allowed) UK Corporate bonds, Share capital or Loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.

During the term of either 5, 3 or 2 years, the applicant is permitted to spend 180 days per year outside of the UK.

The Tier 1 (Investor) visa category applies to the main applicant and all immediate family members, including spouse and children under the age of 18.

Work, study and business activity is permitted and there is no requirement to demonstrate English language ability.

Tier 1 investor visa requirements

Initial application eligibility

In order to qualify for an initial grant of leave with your Tier 1 investor visa you must:

  • be 18 or over to apply for your Tier 1 investor visa.

  • be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner.

  • have money of your own, under your control, held in a regulated financial institution, and which is disposable in the UK, amounting to not less than £2 million.

  • have opened an account with a UK regulated bank for the purposes of investing not less than £2 million in the UK.

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification.

  • criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years.

Evidence of investment funds

You’ll need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.


Your own money

If you’re using your own money to invest, you should be able to show:

  • how much money you have and where it’s being held.

  • where the money came from if you’ve had the money for less than 2 years, for example you inherited it from a relative.

  • that the money can be transferred to the UK and converted to sterling (if it’s not already in the UK).


Your partner’s money

You’ll need to provide:

  • a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least 2 years).

  • a statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK.

  • a letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid.

Evidence you have a UK bank account

You must provide a letter to prove you have an account at a UK regulated bank to use for your investment funds.


Extension Applications 

In order to extend your stay in the UK as a Tier 1 investor visa you must:

Initial leave granted on or after 29 March 2019 

If you were granted initial Tier 1 (Investor) entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain under the Rules in place on or after 29 March 2019, to extend your leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant you must have invested not less than £2 million in the UK by way of UK share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.


The investment referred to above must have been made:

  • within 3 months of your entry to the UK, if you were granted entry clearance as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant and there is evidence to establish your date of entry to the UK, unless there are exceptionally compelling reasons for the delay in investing, or

  • within 3 months of the date of the grant of entry clearance or leave to remain as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant, unless there are exceptionally compelling reasons for the delay in investing, or

  • where the investment was made prior to the first grant of leave as a Tier 1 (Investor), no earlier than 12 months before the date of the application which led to the first grant of leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant, and, in each case, the level of investment must have at least been maintained for the whole of the remaining period of that leave.

Indefinite Leave to Remain & Citizenship

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is granted upon successful completion of the visa.

All visa holders dependents have the same rights and of obtaining the ILR and British Citizenship as the visa holders.

The duration before ILR and citizenship is obtained in the UK varies depending on the size of the investment portfolio:

*Applies to applicants from abroad

Tier 1 investor visa


We give you the control over the level of involvement you wish to have in your investment process for your tier 1 investor visa.  We offer three different service levels.


Tier 1 investor visa


We provide you with expert lawyers that have a wealth of experience in completing tier 1 investor visa applications.


Tier 1 investor visa


To ensure you protect your capital, this is the best place to start.

Tax is normally the forgotten part of the tier 1 investor visa process, your residence for tax is completely separate from immigration and nationality issues.

Investments carry various degrees of risk that may depend on the amount invested, its duration and most importantly the rate of return. Safer investments provide a greater assurance that you can keep what was originally invested, though the rate of return may be lower. Higher risk investments may offer a higher rate of return; however, the risk that you may lose money on the investment increases.

Guardian Stockbrokers Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (No. 492519).

Registered office: 14 City Road, London EC1Y 2AA. Registered in England and Wales. Company No. 06756375. 


© 2019 by Guardian Stockbrokers.